Prepare for Your Paralegal Career at Everest at Ottawa West
Posted Thursday, Jun 9, 2011 by
Paralegals are vital players in the modern legal office. Responsible for a wide number of vital duties, paralegals provide critical support to attorneys in all legal specialties.
Sometimes referred to as “legal assistants,” paralegals usually work under one or more licensed attorneys, often doing work that can be demanding and complex, but does not require law school or passing the bar. Typical paralegal duties can include:
- Conducting interviews with clients to gather background information for pending cases
- Corresponding with clients, counsel and others on factual matters
- Periodically updating clients on case/matter status
- Drafting pleadings and documents
- Organizing and maintaining contracts, forms and client files
- Preparing clients for court hearings
- Reviewing legal periodicals and material relevant to a specialty area of law
- Maintaining an attorney’s calendar or tickler system
- Researching legal issues and precedents, including procedural, administrative or case law
Specialized Paralegal Training Required
In most cases, employers such as law firms and government agencies require that candidates for paralegal positions have a specialized background in this field.
In the Ottawa metro area, you can get the education you need to compete for entry-level paralegal positions at Everest College of Business, Technology and Health Care’s Ottawa West campus. Designed to be completed in as little as 11 months, Everest’s Paralegal program offers a curriculum that includes:
- Introduction to the Legal System
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility
- Legal Computer Applications
- Legal Accounting
- Legal Research and Writing
- Torts and Contracts
- Employment Law
- Evidence and the Litigation Process
- Small Claims Court
Many of these courses are taught by law professionals whose practical knowledge augments the academic material. Classes are small, which allows students to get plenty of individual attention. And upon graduation, students can take advantage of Everest’s Career Services department, which can help with resume preparation, interview rehearsals and identifying local job opportunities.
About the Ottawa West Campus
Everest College’s Ottawa West campus is situated at 1050 Morrison Drive just south of the intersection of Highway 417 and Greenbank Road in Nepean, Ontario, just west of Ottawa. The campus has ample parking and is also easily reached by metro bus. The campus is convenient to numerous daycare centres, restaurants and shopping venues.
Contact Everest for More Information
For more information about the Paralegal program or other career education programs, contact Everest College today!
Financial assistance may be available for those who qualify.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program and other important information, please visit our website at www.everestonline.edu/disclosures.