We all know the secrets to staying healthy: A diet rich in fruits and vegetables; regular exercise; seven to eight hours of sleep daily; and staying away from drugs, tobacco and excess alcohol. But there are other, less well-known ways you can avoid disease, stay strong and live longer. Here are 10 of them:
1. Have Sex. Having sex once or twice per week has been shown to boost immunoglobulin (IgA), which is the body’s first line of defense against the viruses that cause cold and flu. Source
2. Floss. Daily flossing removes the plaque where deadly bacteria grow, the kind of bacteria that can enter your blood system and cause heart attacks and stroke. Source
3. Drink red wine. Over the past 20 years, medical researchers have concluded that a glass of red wine daily can lower the chances of heart attack and stroke and even fight cancer. Source
4. Drink dark grape juice. Regular, nonalcoholic grape juice has many of the same health benefits as red wine. (It’s just not as fun.) Source
5. Listen to music. It’s been said that “music hath power to soothe the savage breast.” Music has also been shown to lower stress levels, lower blood pressure, increase concentration and relieve pain. And, no, it doesn’t have to be classical. Source
6. Stay moist. The flu virus likes it dry. That’s why winter is flu season: low humidity. A moist home is a healthy home, so if you live where it’s dry, install a humidifier. Source
7. Drink coffee. The proof isn’t ironclad, but coffee appears to help prevent diabetes, strokes, cancer and other diseases. Source
8. Watch a Comedy. Laughter may not be the best medicine, but it’s a damned good one. Laughter has been shown to release endorphins, lower stress, boost the immune system and protect the heart. Source
9. Sing! Singing is an aerobic activity that boosts circulation, improves mental prowess and even improves the lymphatic system, which helps fight all kinds of disease. Source
10. Make friends. Friends aren’t just there to help you move. People with a large circle of friends also tend to live longer, healthier lives. Source
Health, Fitness and Nutrition Consultant Career Program at Everest
Do you have an interest in health and fitness? Do you enjoy helping others? Would you like to make this field your career?
If so, consider the Health, Fitness and Nutrition Consultant career education program offered by Everest College of Business, Technology and Health Care in Hamilton Mountain. The program can provide you with a comprehensive background in anatomy, physiology, nutrition and physical fitness. Program graduates often go on to careers in health clubs, rehabilitation facilities and resorts and as personal trainers.
Everest’s Health, Fitness and Nutrition Consultant program can be completed in less than a year. You’ll enjoy the school’s hands-on curriculum and staff of industry professionals. Upon graduation, Everest’s Career Services professionals can help you transition from school into the workplace, helping you contact local employers and prepare for your all-important job interviews.
About the Hamilton Mountain Campus
Everest College in Hamilton Mountain is situated at 1039 Upper James Street, just north of the Lincoln S. Anderson Parkway south of downtown Hamilton, Ontario (L9C 3A7). The campus offers ample off-street parking. It is also easily accessible by bus with two routes (20/27) running along Upper James Street.
For more information about the Health, Fitness and Nutrition Consultant program and other career education programs offered at Everest College’s Hamilton Mountain campus, contact Everest College today!
Financial assistance may be available for those who qualify.
Check it out! This blog post is now available as an infographic!