Many people believe the Internet has made travel agents obsolete. Not true. Although millions of Canadians now regularly book airline flights and reserve hotel rooms over the Web, travel agents remain an indispensable part of our country’s travel and tourism industry.
Here are 10 reasons why travel agents remain valuable in the age of the Internet:
1) Many travel agents are vacation planners. When you’re planning a vacation, a good travel agent can help you choose the destination and resort/hotel you’re most likely to enjoy. He or she can also advise you on the best time(s) to take your trip as well as suggest local attractions, restaurants, etc.
2) Many travel agents have access to deals and packages you don’t. Not all travel bargains are available to the general public, not even through the Internet. Many travel agents and agencies have special relationships with airlines, hotel chains, cruise lines, etc., that allow them to offer special discounts and other benefits to their clients.
3) Travel agents can help you with travel emergencies. Did you miss your airline connection? Was your luggage stolen? Did you arrive to find your luxury hotel on fire? An experienced travel agent can help you deal with these and any other emergencies you may encounter on your trip.
4) Traveling overseas? Travel agents know what documents you do and don’t need to bring. When you’re planning to travel abroad, an experienced travel agent can alert you to the documents you’ll need to carry (passport, visas, immunization records, etc.), depending on your destination and length of time you plan to be there.
5) Travel agents know local laws. If you’re traveling overseas, a good travel agent can alert you to local laws and customs that could affect your trip and how you conduct yourself during your stay.
6) Travel agents are aware of “kid issues.” If you’re traveling with children, a travel agent can point you to hotels and attractions that are known to be “kid friendly.” If you’re traveling alone or with another adult and want to specifically avoid places with children, a travel agent can be very helpful there, too.
7) A travel agent can help you get the best travel insurance. Travel insurance is very important, especially if you’re planning a trip weeks or months in advance. Some airlines, cruise lines and resorts work with just a single travel insurance company. A travel agent may work with several companies and be able to get you a much better deal than you’d get with no choice in the matter.
8) A travel agent can help you if you or a companion has special needs. Does someone in your traveling party need a wheelchair? Have dietary restrictions? A travel agent can help make arrangements to ensure your special needs are met while traveling.
9) A travel agent can help you change your itinerary. It’s often necessary to change travel times, alter schedules or even cancel trips altogether. A travel agent can contact all your service providers (airlines, hotel, car rental agencies, etc.) on your behalf and make the necessary changes while minimizing services charges and other expenses.
10) A travel agent can save you time! The more complicated your trip is, the more help a travel agent can be to you. Yes, you can invest time researching the Internet for the best deals, compare airline schedules and prices, read resort reviews, look for car rental deals and then make all the necessary reservations, or you can make just one phone call and have a travel agent do all the work for you. And in many cases, the service is absolutely free!
Earn a Travel and Tourism Diploma at Everest College in North York
If being a travel agent sounds exciting to you, you can get the education and training you need to enter the profession at the North York campus of Everest College of Business, Technology and Health Care. At Everest in North York, you can acquire a comprehensive background in the travel industry and get hands-on experience working with common industry software. The program takes just seven months to complete. After you graduate, Everest’s Career Services team can help you use your education to apply for positions with local travel agencies, hotels, resorts and other travel industry employers.
About the North York Campus
Everest College in North York is situated at 5734 Yonge Street in North York, Ontario M2M 4E7. The campus has ample off-street parking and is also directly across the street from the Finch metro bus terminal and subway station. Day care centres, restaurants and shopping options are just minutes away.
Financial assistance may be available for those who qualify.